Saturday, April 14, 2007

RE: RE:

What I meant to say is that I agree with Foucault that, given the nature of power, it is impossible to create a "just" world, but that, nonetheless, I agree with Chomsky that we have to try. I realize that characterizing Foucault's beliefs about political action as "doomed to failure" is somewhat of an overstatement---but I do think that he is saying that no struggle for social justice can truly succeed because the actors in such a struggle cannot escape the reconstitution of structures of power. Chomsky, of course, does not agree with Foucault that justice is ultimately unattainable. Chomsky thinks that human universals of justice exist and can be discovered, that they are within our reach---ethics for him are much simpler than they are for Foucault, and they demand action. I agree with Foucault that we must deconstruct our conceptions of justice and ethics---but I think that I need to approach such deconstruction as a form of political action---deconstruction driven by the need to better understand and engage in the politics of power which constitute our world. And I haven't given up on the existence of a few core universal truths that are worth fighting for. To do so would be to give up on the existence of ethics on any level.


No comments: